Search This Blog

Monday, October 26, 2009

Feeding You Numero 2

When talking about Feed you can either look at it in 2 ways. It can be seen as a mirror image of society because it's showing us what we look like in reality. It can slso be a hammmer because it is showing us in an exagerated form (at least I think) what our society is like therefore we may want to change it. Either way you look at it your bound to be write because both points of views can be given evidence from the book to show the perspective. I think that it's a both of them mixed together. Tobin might have been trying to create a mirror/hammer where the reader might want to use the hammer to crack the mirror (I hope you get what I mean).

So first let's talk about how you can see Feed as a mirror. The fact that the book is written about the generation of now is one example. I also think that the way he uses certain language can show how the Feed is about society now. The Feed can be a hammer because even though it is hitting a lot of major points that's wrong with our generations, I also think it was a bit exagerated such as the "feed" being part of their brain (although I do get the allegory saying that we are never to far from technology). This to me is some of the reasons why Feed could be both a mirror and a hammer.

Now the question is can a mirror be a hammer and I think the answer is yes. Feed showed me personally a lot of things about the way our world works nowadays such as detachment from human emotions electronics give us. I know people that can have heart to heart through texting. That to me is you still hiding behind an electronic to cover up emotions. Mirror images such as Titus ignoring Violet when she was malfunctioning compare to me ignoring my friend's text about her pathetic love life in order to not deal with it. These images however give me an insight about our society and where it's headed. Which makes me want to change the way I use or how much technology I use. Therefore making it a hammer by shaping the way I think about the book and electronic devices.

I would want my art to be a mirror and a hammer. I think this way it shows people and can also help them or make them realize some things about life or whatever it is my art may be about.

P.S.I really enjoyed the book Andy. = D

1 comment:

  1. First I must say that I love how much you write in most of your blogs. it shows that your not just bullshitting and you actually are serious about what you are writing about. And thanks for doing and making up the homework so I could read and comment them<3

    I really like how you are able to figure out your main idea about each blog and and give examples and insights and always state it back to your main idea. For example you mention what a mirror is and how a mirror can at times be a hammer as well. You give examples of the book Feed and from your own personal effects. You restated this back to your main idea about hammers and mirrors.

    Your idea relate a lot to what many people think of this whole mirror and hammer idea. That a mirror reflects, showing your flaws and your true image being able to see your true flaws maybe forcing someone to want to change which would also be related as a hammer as well.

    I think that we are able to figure out the main idea and get examples but there could be some way we can expand from this and create more insights. maybe like how else can something be as a mirror or and example. Which is better? Does it acutally ever work. Since a mirror can show someone there flaws or whats wrong with them but not always necissarly acts as a hammer and change. So how would you skip the whole mirror idea and just focus on how can something be just a hammer?

    This makes me consider my own idea for how you can develope your post. I just thought a little bit about how can something be just a hammer. When thinking of this, a hammer can be used to break something. Is it actually correct to break something and force it to change? Hammers are also used to nail something in place. So is this idea of a hammer basically used to nail us into a better place? Forecfully causing a change.

    Well thanks again for doing the homework, im really surprse you were able to catch up so quick! See you in class :)

    ReplyDelete