Search This Blog

Monday, November 2, 2009

The World As We Know It (Outline)

Cellphones, computers, televisions, and ipods are a big part of our lives. Whether we want to admit or not most of us are addicted to some sort of digital stimulation. Now the real questions are why are we so addicted, who made us this way, and what will it be like for future generations. Throughout this paper we will be looking at evidence to try to gain some insight to these questions.

On the train we see people constantly using their ipods. While they are walking down the street, they're texting. When kids get home from school, they turn on the tv to see what's on. People are constantly checking their facebook pages and emails. It's a non stop world of digital interaction out there and people have come to really depend on it. Although I have tried to figure out why we are so addicted before I still don't have every possible reason I think. I have talked about boredom, social status or awkwardness, and even being accustomed. But there might still be possibilities out there such as social acceptance, to show economical status, an escape from reality. All of these are good topics to touch on. To be continued...

Now we can't blame being dependent on anyone really. No one put a gun to our head and said use this cellphone until your brain explodes. But maybe there are people that we should point the finger at. Such as our parents. My parents are always complaining about how much I'm on my cellphone but at the same time they pay for my bill and allow me to use it so what's the problem. Or how they say that we rarely spend any quality time together but when we are together the tv is on. Little things like this affect what I'm going to do with electronics. I think we also put the electronics too much in little kid's faces. For example, my 5 month old brother LOVES cellphones. I don't think he understands what they are but he likes the light and sounds it makes. My family encourages him playing with it by buying him a play phone or flashing their phone in front of him. We also just recently opened his walker and it has a play ipod on it that plays nursery rhymes which he loves. This leads me to my next people I want to blame, the industries that make these things. They push and push their supplies until we fall into their traps. They make us think that the ipod that just came out is better than the one we have even though it works perfectly fine. Last of all, I want to blame ourselves. To be continued...

For the future (if there is one past 2012) what do you think the electronics are going to be like? How much more dependent are we going to be? Will the computers ever crash like they were once suppose to or will robots soon dominate our world? These are all good questions to think about and ponder. To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. From reading your outline it seems as if your thesis is leaning towards the big "why" question. Reasons for our addictions to digitalization. I think you have some good ideas from your own personal experiences but you should definitely use some ideas from discussions and especially stuff from class or homework such as the book Feed. Your are such a good reader that I am sure you were able to point out things in the book that would definitely be great examples. Such as the teenagers addictions to their feeds in the book.
    I used your as an example in my outline (and will probably use you as a small example in my paper) as we are both addicted to different types of digital device. How does that relate to your somewhat thesis? You are probably having the same problem as I am of choosing "the positives" or "the negatives to technology". From reading your blog and thinking it over I am going more towards the negatives side. The literature by that Johnson guy tries to make a point about the special skills we are able to gain from technology but I realized that maybe it is those skills that help us use our technology so well. Maybe you can use my idea to help you broaden yours as well. Your a smart girl (when you want to be) and I am sure you will be able to catch up soon. Good Luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Yazmin,

    I liked what you had to say about addiction, and how you brought your family into it and made it a little more personal. I'd like to see you ask "why" a little more often though, if that makes sense. Like why do we text instead of call, or listen to our ipods on the train. I think that would deffinately help you expand your ideas and help you write more.

    From, Conor

    ReplyDelete